If you are anything like me traveling far distances, I usually travel with one large suitcase, a carry-on, and Tote. Managing this on my own can be tricky sometimes but I rather struggle than pay five bucks for a porter. That’s five dollars I could be spending on my Chai Tea Latte at Starbucks!! Lol, priorities ;) Hauling things around an airport can be grueling and long flights can be cramped and uncomfortable. This does NOT, I repeat, does NOT, give you the right to walk through the airport looking a hot mess!
This doesn't mean you need to throw on your highest pair of heels and get all dolled up. It just requires paying a little more attention to the details. In addition, you don't need heels to look stylish or sexy ;) - Here I have laid out the perfect outfit to make that long flight more comfortable. I chose a black palette as, for me, I like to travel in dark colors in case of any turbulent mishaps such as coffee or food spills etc.
1. Leather Jacket – Always a good idea. Pictured: Zara Basic Leather Jacket, can find here.
2. Light Sweater or Cardigan – I like to have an extra piece to layer on while on the plane. Depending on where you are flying from, you can add as part of your ensemble or wrap around your waste. Pictured: Markus Lupfur Grace Intarsia Sweater, can find here. (Side note: You may be able to skip this layer if you are traveling to and from a warmer climate. Having the over sized scarf should suffice.)
3. Racer Back or Lose fitting T-shirt – I am obsessed with my T By Alexander Wang racer back tops. However, I love a good t-shirt as well - I rock my Yeezus concert tee a lot when traveling, super easy and adds a cool print to my otherwise all black ensemble. Pictured: T By Alexander Wang Racer Back Tee, can find here.
4. Leggings – A nice simple pair of black skinny yoga pants nowadays can pass as skinny jeans without the restrictive feeling of being in denim. Also provides some workout gear while on vacation (if you are so inclined). Pictured: Lulu Lemon Wunder Under Pant, can find here .
5. Oversized Scarf – I say oversized because this can also act as your blanket on the flight. Multifunctional pieces are the best pieces, just make sure it is complimentary to your outfit. Pictured: Scarf by MELT, you can find here. Zara also provides a great collection.
6. Tote – Having a good tote when you travel is important if you are traveling long distances. I like to make sure I have all of the things I need readily available to me so I don’t need to fumble around with my carry-on should I need something. For example, electronics, pen, snacks, make-up, medicine, neck pillow, etc. Pictured: Biker Bag by Celine, can find here.
7. Fashion Sneaker – Athleisure is all the business right now. However, please don’t take this as a green light to wear your dirty gym sneakers and think it is okay (or stylish). Instead, invest in a cute pair of sneakers. Pictured: Balenciaga Race Runner Sneaker, can find here. (Tip: Slip-on sneakers are especially great for traveling as they are easy to get on and off. I love this Givenchy pair here.)
8. Bralette/ Sports Bra – This is important. We are not all Carrie Bradshaw and think bras are so comfortable that we want to sleep in one, let alone travel long hours in one. Thankfully, with the popularity of the athleisure trend, sports bras have gotten quite sexy and can literally save you on an airplane! If you want something a bit sassier then the bralette is the way to go! Pictured: “Hide & Seek” Bralette by Gooseberry, can find here, an alternative is the Sports Bra by Bodyism, can find here.
After traveling to more than 15 countries and taking flights as long as 21hrs, I have learned that wearing the perfect ensemble is a key part in making your travels go smoothly and most importantly, comfortable while in flight. However, I recall a wise women telling me long ago that you should never leave the house not looking presentable as you never know who you might meet or run into. So think twice before throwing on those dirty trainers or those sweats that aren't flattering. Remember, if you look good, you feel good! I promise.
Stumped about what you should wear?? Feel free to reach out for styling tips! ;)